Thursday, September 19, 2013

Carl Jung's Red Book

I just finished reading Memories, Dreams, Reflections by Carl Jung. It is basically Jung's biography with a lot of personal thoughts on life, spirituality and his profession. The famous psychologist was also an enthusiast of the occult. He had a little red book in wich he drew his dreams, mandalas and mythic images related to his unconscious.

«The years… when I pursued the inner images, were the most important time of my life. Everything else is to be derived from this. It began at that time, and the later details hardly matter anymore. My entire life consisted in elaborating what had burst forth from the unconscious and flooded me like an enigmatic stream and threatened to break me. That was the stuff and material for more than only one life. Everything later was merely the outer classification, scientific elaboration, and the integration into life. But the numinous beginning, which contained everything, was then.» — Carl Jung

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I like the "naive" style of those images. If you have a chance to read this Jung book I highly recommend it. Very interesting and a lot of fun, even for someone who is not at all into the occult or esoteric (like me!).

      Delete